Monday, February 18, 2013

NEw Fashion Monique Lhuillier Vs Michael Cinco 2013


Designers and have a masterful understanding of craftmanship. I'm no fashion expert--not by a long shot but I give Cinco the edge over Lhuillier in the aspects of beading and edginess. Lhuillier, on the other hand, gets my nod for keeping her designs and ornamentations to a minimum, hence, subtle, simple and elegant some thing that most people equate with "class", hence, expensive-looking. What I find notable about Cinco's creations is their ability to translate avant garde-ism to something that is wearable and what most people could readily appreciate. His creations are daring, dramatic, they push the envelope, and have the "wow" factor never fail to dazzle. And to say that his mastery in beadwork is quite amazing would be an uderstatement. On the negative side, I sometimes find his frocks overwhelming, cumbersome, and a bit overly-decorated or embellished, one criticism that foreign fashion experts make about most Pinoy creations. Lhullier works best with bridal wear, her forte'. Although as of late, I notice her dabbling with more cocktail gowns and beaded ensembles. During my regular morning runs before going to work, I pass by her shop on Melrose, in West Hollywood (just around the corner from my place of business). Her shop still closed during the wee hours of the morning, I look at her windows with amazement and marvel at her success, something that every ambitious Pinoy in a foreign land would dream of. She's come a long way, I think to myself with a sense of pride and vicarious honor. Somehow, I guess, maybe her French-sounding last name could have helped catapult her to the pinnacle of fashion success, as we often see her name mentioned in the same breath with fashion greats who are well-ahead of her in design experience like de la Renta, Carolina Herrera, Lauren, Armani, Versace, etc. But looking at her epic creations, I figure she's a true artist of international calibre and people with taste and means would buy her creations (which are mostly priced north of $5,000.) regardless, French-sounding last name or not. Cheers and more power to her, as her success is very well-deserved.



















LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...